Balancing Style & Durability
Choosing the right furniture for a short-term vacation rental (STVR) is best-done with the mindset of trying to find the ideal balance between practicality (longevity, durability, comfort) and aesthetic (style, trendiness, social-media-worthy).
"Striking a balance between aesthetic & longevity is important while designing and furnishing our homes because you want these pieces to last while reflecting personal taste that enhances the overall look of the home." - Monica Franco-Contreras, Summer's Design & Installation Manager
Here are some tips to help you choose furniture that will appeal to guests and stand up to wear and tear:
1. Focus on durability. Look for furniture that is made from durable materials, such as solid wood or metal, and has sturdy construction. Avoid furniture made from flimsy materials, such as particleboard, which may not hold up to heavy use.
2. Choose easy-to-clean fabrics. Look for fabrics that are easy to clean and resist stains, such as leather, microfiber, or outdoor fabrics. Avoid fabrics that are prone to stains or require special cleaning, such as silk or velvet.
3. Consider storage. Choose furniture with built-in storage, such as drawers or shelves, to maximize space and keep the rental property organized.
4. Opt for versatile pieces. Choose furniture that can be easily moved and reconfigured to accommodate different guest needs, such as sleeper sofas or modular seating.
5. Pay attention to style. Choose furniture that complements the overall style and theme of the rental property. Consider neutral colors and classic styles that will appeal to a wide range of guests.
6. Stick to your budget. Set a budget for furnishing the rental property and stick to it. Look for deals and discounts on furniture, or consider buying used furniture in good condition.
7. Get feedback from guests. After guests have stayed in the rental property, ask for feedback on the furniture and furnishings. Use this feedback to make improvements or changes as needed.
By following these tips, you can choose furniture that balances style and durability, and will appeal to guests while standing up to heavy use.